Background

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Fireplace FINALLY Done!!!

 
 


 
 
Redoing the fireplace in my house has been a real thorn in my side ever since I bought my little house over a year and a half ago!
 
When I first bought my house (before I painted and re-did the floors) my fireplace looked a little like this (sorry the picture is a little blurry, but you get the idea)....
 
 
After my floors were done and I painted the walls, my fireplace looked really out of place (I even tired painting the existing mantle white, but it still didn't match my contemporary style)

 
The first thing I decided that I needed to do was find some really beautiful and unique tile that I would use to replace the current orange/green spanish-style tile.
 
Originally, I was set on Carrera marble in a Herringbone pattern but when I got to the tile store the choices were overwhelming! After spending hours at the store I narrowed it down to two cuts of Carrera marble and took home the samples to decide...
 

 
This was the original concept (not in the two tones, but this was the pattern I wanted)...
 
 
And this was the other sample... Also carrera marble, but cut into small hexigons and at various heights and facets (it was super textured and had a 3-D effect)
 
 


Once I saw the sample sparkle in the sunlight I had made up my mind on which one I was going to order!!!
 
 
When the tile was ordered I searched and searched the internet for the style mantle I wanted. Hours of searching and hours of phone calls later I came to the conclusion that pre-made mantles were too expensive for my tight budget :-(
 
This is when I decided to e-mail my contractor and ask if he could build me something on the cheap...
 
 
I also drew him a little picture of my current fireplace, but he said it didn't help him at all (haha).
 
When he came to my house he showed up with a pile of wood and we started to design!
 
 
 
After two long days of building and designing we ended up with this (I do have to say that he is pretty good at what he does!)
 
 
Here is my fireplace all decorated for x-mas!
 


 


1 comment: